AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY LEGACY (AAHL)™
August 1 – 27, 2017
The Brickhouse Gallery and Art Complex
2837 36th Street, Sacramento, CA 95817
“NEVER, EVER FORGET”
AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY: THE MIDDLE PASSAGE AND BEYOND™
CALLING ALL QUILT ARTISTS!
African American History Legacy (AAHL)™ is currently seeking African American quilt artists residing in the United States, to participate in a juried exhibition titled “NEVER, EVER FORGET” - AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY: THE MIDDLE PASSAGE AND BEYOND.™
The Artist is asked to create an African American living history quilt using their own style and composition. The artist must either narrate a work of art depicting their own personal story as an African American or tell stories of African American historical or contemporary persons and events. The artwork should be inspired by the exhibition theme, “NEVER, EVER FORGET” - AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY: THE MIDDLE PASSAGE AND BEYOND™
The quilt artist should express and exemplify historical and contemporary African American cultural identity in fabric, and convey shared community values and aesthetics, paying homage to African American trials, tribulations and triumphs for posterity.
The exhibition will bring into view, the skill of the artist and the artist’s ability to help the African American community especially the young, know, understand and celebrate the rich inheritance of faith, resilience, determination, strength, confidence and hope, our ancestors bequeathed to us after their long-suffering of ridicule, rejection and persecution. Thus, we should:
“NEVER, EVER FORGET”™
*REQUEST THE FULL STORY @ AfricanAmericanHistoryLegacy@comcast.net
Quilt artists may use many different processes to create their fabric artwork, including painting, dyeing, stamping, piecing, collage, printing, changing photographs to digital image print into fabric, applique, embellishment, and other complex cloth processes. The final step should be the machine or hand stitching process through the layers of fabric (top, batting and back.)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION & DATES:
Entry Deadline date: JUNE 1, 2017.
Entry Fee: $45.00 - Up to two entries (non-refundable)
Online Entry: http://thebrickhouseartgallery.com/
Email Digital images: AfricanAmericanHistoryLegacy@comcast.net
Reclaim Art Quilts: September 7, 8, 9, 2017
Assistance: 209–957–9177 - Marsha Carter, AAHL™
- Each participant may submit two (2) entries via email.
- Entries must be based on a response to the exhibition concept detailed above.
- Entries must be original work and suitable for all audiences, including pre-school children.
- Entries previously exhibited will not be accepted.
- The dimensions (width x height) of the work of art may not exceed 36” X 36.” Quilts exceeding the dimensions will not be accepted.
- Artists must be 18+ to enter.
- Kit quilts and group quilts will not be accepted.
- COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ONLINE ENTRY FORM - JUNE 1, 2017 DEADLINE
- Artist application information.
- Artist Statement: No more than 150 words or less to explain how your art interprets or relates to the exhibition theme, what inspired you to make it, who or what the quilt is about, and why you choose the topic. One per entry. Artist Resume of exhibition experience.
- Hold Harmless Agreement
- Entry Fee: $45.00
- SUBMIT ONLINE ENTRY FORM TO: http://thebrickhouseartgallery.com/
- SUBMIT DIGITAL QUILT IMAGES - JUNE 1, 2017 DEADLINE
- JPEG high-resolution images (600 dpi; 1920 pixels x 1920 pixels)
- One (1) full view of quilt image, including all of the edges/binding. One per entry.
- One (1) detail close-up quilt image. One per entry.
- One Artist Photograph Send each quilt image in a separate Email.
- In the Subject line for full view, please put your name, the name of your quilt and “Full View.” (i.e. Anna Conner -“Separate But Equal?” – “Full View”.)
- In the Subject line for close-up view, please put your name, the name of your quilt and “Close-up.” (i.e. Anna Conner -“Separate But Equal?” -“Close-up.”)
- Send the Artist Photograph in a separate Email.
- In the Subject Line, please put your name and the word “Photo.” (i.e. Anna Conner – Photo.)
- SUBMIT DIGITAL IMAGES TO: AfricanAmericanHistoryLegacy@comcast.net
- Submissions will be evaluated based on their relevance to the exhibition concept, overall appearance, quality, construction techniques, color, design, quilting stitch and adherence to submission rules.
- Acceptance of show entries are on a first enter – first accepted basis, until the show is full or the deadline is reached, whichever occurs first.
- After all entry requirements have been met, an Acceptance Notification” letter will be emailed after JUNE 3, 2017. DO NOT SHIP QUILTS, UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE NOTIFICATION.
- Art Quilts will be selected by a committee of jurors comprised of Art Quilt Masters, Marion Coleman and Patricia A. Montgomery, THE BRICKHOUSE GALLERY ART COMPLEX Curator, Barbara Range, and AAHL™, Marsha Carter.
- Art Quilts will be selected for cash prizes at the sole discretion of the jurors.
- Four (4) Art Quilts will be awarded prizes as assigned by the jurors. Cash awards will be given in the following amounts:
- INSPIRATION AWARD - Originality and Visual Impact $500
- EXECUTION AWARD - Quality of design and Technique $500
- (TWO) HONORABLE MENTION AWARDS $100 each
- All entries must be clean, smoke-free, void of pet hair, labeled and ready for display upon delivery.
- All entries must have a 4”quilt sleeve for hanging.
- An identification label clearly and permanently labeled and sewn on the bottom right-hand back of the art piece, with the following information: Quilter’s Name, City and State of Residence, Quilt Name, Date Quilt Made, Dimensions (width, height,) Materials, Design and Technique.
- Entries must be enclosed in a plastic bag and placed in a sturdy shipping box. For the return of your work, you must provide adequate packing and shipping material, and adequate postage on a prepaid return self-addressed label.
- Quilts that are hand delivered must be boxed and labeled, as if being shipped to the street address. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Local Artists may volunteer at least 18 hours or more during the run of the exhibition for a discounted entry fee of $10. A schedule of availability will be sent with the acceptance letter. $35 will be refunded at the end of the show when your quilt is either picked up or shipped to you. Full payment ($45.00) must be made at the time of entry.
- Artist-Gallery Consignment Agreement and Consignment of Artworks List will be Emailed to you with the “Acceptance Notification” letter and must accompany shipped or hand delivered work that has been noted “FOR SALE” on the entry form.
- SHIP OR HAND DELIVER YOUR ART WORK
Accepted work must be received during the week of:
JUNE 19 - 23, 2017, 9AM - 5PM. NO EXCEPTIONS
SHIP: THE BRICKHOUSE GALLERY AND ART COMPLEX P.O. BOX 5545 SACRAMENTO, CA 95817
HAND DELIVER: THE BRICKHOUSE GALLERY AND ART COMPLEX 2837 36TH Street SACRAMENTO, CA 95817 916-475-1240
CARE OF YOUR WORK
- To ensure the safety of the work, ship according to the Submission Requirements.
- THE BRICKHOUSE GALLERY ART COMPLEX/ AAHL™ is not able to insure the works of art submitted for this exhibition.
- The artist must insure own work. You may include your quilt in your homeowner’s policy or seek insurance from an agent.
- All works of art will be handled with care by trained white glove staff.
RETURN OF YOUR WORK
- Works with prepaid return self-addressed labels, and adequate packing material for shipping, will be returned within 30 days of the close of the exhibition.
- If you are unable to personally pick-up your work, indicate on the Entry Form the designated person picking up your work. A valid State ID or Driver’s license is required for identification.
- Entries that are not picked up and do not have a prepaid return self-addressed label mailer, and packing material, cannot be returned. Unclaimed entries will become the sole and unrestricted property of THE BRICKHOUSE GALLERY ART COMPLEX on September 9, 2017. Limited storage space will make it necessary to dispose of your work on or after September 11, 2017. PLEASE CLAIM YOUR WORK OF ART!
- Works may be picked up at:
THE BRICKHOUSE GALLERY ART COMPLEX
2837 36TH Street
SACRAMENTO, CA 95817
Designated times for pickup are:
September 7, 8, 2017 12:00 Noon – 5 pm.
PURCHASE OF WORK IN EXHIBITION
- Please list the retail price on the entry form if you wish to sell your work or indicate NFS if the work is NOT FOR SALE.
- THE BRICKHOUSE GALLERY ART COMPLEX will retain 35% of the retail price, if your work is Sold. You will be paid 65% of the retail price for Sold works within 30 days of the close of the exhibition. Works Sold during the exhibit must remain on display for the duration of the exhibit.
- Works receiving an Award and Sold during the exhibit must remain on display for the duration of the exhibit. The Award amount and 65% of the retail price will be paid to the Exhibiter within 30 days of the close of the exhibition.
- Exhibiting artist will receive one catalog.
Get the online entry form at: TheBrickHouseArtGallery.com
Complete and Submit Before June 1, 2017
“NEVER, EVER FORGET”
AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY: THE MIDDLE PASSAGE AND BEYOND™ QUILT EXHIBIT ENTRY FORM
Due Date: JUNE 1, 2017
COMPLETE ENTRY FORM
- Artist Statement – See Requirements.
- Artist Resume of exhibition experience. See Requirements.
- Hold Harmless Agreement.
- Entry Fee $45.00 Up to two entries. (Non-refundable)
- SUBMIT ENTRY TO: http://thebrickhouseartgallery.com/
- DIGITAL IMAGES
- Full view of the quilt. One for each entry. See Requirements.
- Close-up view of each quilt. One for each entry. See Requirements
- Artist Photograph. See Requirements.
- SUBMIT DIGITALS TO: AfricanAmericanHistoryLegacy@comcast.net